• Kasey Ackerman, CONTRIBUTOR
  • I love to write and spend time with my dog.
  • Opinions expressed by Sunpath Contributors are their own.
February 13, 2018 views: 30,239

Eat like a champion

eating healthy foods

Although it may seem obvious, your diet has a bigger impact on your health than anything else. As a matter of fact, heart disease is the number one reason for death in America claiming 600,000 lives each year. But you can avoid becoming a statistic by avoiding foods high in saturated fats, cholesterol, refined carbs and sugars and trans fats. These are the foods that cause chronic inflammation, which is a basic bodily function gone haywire contributing to heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer. You can identify the bad foods as any of the 3 White Poisons: Sugar, Salt, and Flour. Do your absolute best to stay away from the 3 white poisons.

Get your cholesterol checked

Diet isn’t the most important factor in deterring your cholesterol level. Only 20 percent of your body’s cholesterol actually comes from your diet, the other 80 percent is manufactured by your liver. That is why it’s so hard to do it through diet alone and also why you need to get it checked. It should be 200 mg/DL or lower. Monitor your cholesterol levels regularly.

Watch your blood pressure

Did you know 1 in 3 American adults have hypertension, which is an average blood pressure above 140/90. Keep your blood pressure in check by regulating your sodium (salt) intake, while increasing your exercise output. Walk, jog, run, lift weights. Get your heart rate up for 30 minutes a day.

Keep safe blood sugar levels

Toss out the soda, candy, and sugary desserts, which cause your glucose levels to spike. If you have diabetes, it can damage your heart, kidneys, eyes , and nerves over time. The American Heath Association list managing your blood sugar as one of seven metrics for good heart health, the same can be said for cancer.

Sleep well

Sleep is the body’s method of repair and restoration and how a great bearing on how we feel day to day. Having trouble sleeping? You might find the remedy to better sleep in your diet. Food relates directly to serotonin, a key hormone that, along with Vitamin, B12, B6, and folic acid – promotes healthy sleep. Focus your diet on keeping your macronutrients in check, which are carbohydrates, lean proteins, and unsaturated fats. Exercise like yoga, can also be of significant help.

Recent Post

Successful Versus Unsuccessful Retirees

jcrowe85 September 27, 2019

RetireTalk Episode 1

jcrowe85 August 25, 2019

Ways to Repair Your Credit Score

Kasey Ackerman July 19, 2018

Coping with College Loans

Kasey Ackerman July 19, 2018

Should You Leave Your IRA to a Child

Kasey Ackerman July 19, 2018